Sunday, December 6, 2009

Jumping for Joy


One of my fondest memories from elementary school is of jumping rope at recess. My friends and I played all sorts of jumprope games, and eventually got into Double Dutch. That was sure a long time ago! Recently, however, N and K both expressed interest in learning how to jump rope. (Um, of course!) We invested in a couple of ropes and went over the basics, then I left them to it.

N picks his rope up now and then and puts in a few minutes of practice, but K has worked seriously hard at learning this skill. I have to smile every time she opens the back door and crows, "Mom, I jumped (X number of) times without missing!!!!" If it happens to be too cold, wet, or dark outside, she'll practice in the garage instead. I love seeing her so dedicated to mastering something. She has made a considerable "jump" (ha! all puns intended) in large motor skills over the past couple of weeks, and--even better--she has seen her continued practice pay off. Success!

No comments: